The download of this type of elements supposes the capacity to collect information on the user’s activity and has implications in relation to their privacy.
What is a cookie and what is it used for?
A cookie (or computer cookie) is a small piece of information sent by a website and stored in the user’s browser, so that the website can check the user’s previous activity.
Its main functions are:
- Take control of users: when a user enters their username and password, a cookie is stored so that they do not have to be entering them for each page of the server. However, a cookie does not identify a person, but rather a combination of computer-browser-user.
- Get information about the user’s browsing habits.
Types of cookies:
- Technical cookies: these are strictly necessary cookies. They allow the user to interact with the website using all its functions.
- Performance and analysis cookies: these are cookies used for analysis and statistics that improve the experience of the website. By using these cookies, more relevant information can be displayed to visitors.
- Personalization cookies: These are those that allow the user to access with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which the service is accessed, the regional configuration from where you access the service, etc.
- Advertising cookies: These are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided based on criteria such as edited content or how often ads are shown.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: These cookies store information on the behavior of users obtained through continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display personalized advertising based on it.
How to disable cookies?
All browsers allow you to make changes that allow you to disable the configuration of cookies. These settings are located in the “options” or “preferences” menu of your browser.
Below we leave you the links with instructions for different browsers where you will see how to disable cookies.
However, remember that disabling cookies implies losing functionality on many websites.